Sunday, September 21, 2008

YOU AREN'T GOING TO BELIEVE THIS

-->
So I'm hanging out at the UN base in the Democratic Republic of the
Congo, located in the city of Goma. I'm taking pictures of an active
volcano in the distance and this DRC Soldier marches up to me and asks
very seriously to see my photos. I show him and he looks through and
wants to make sure there are no pictures of him. He's got an AK-47
over his shoulder. I think: don't take the camera, it's got all my gorilla pics on it!

He doesn't. He walks away. And we continue to take pics of the
sunset over the cooled lava field that buried Goma 6 years ago like a
modern Pompeii.

an hour later, after being offered tea and cakes about 5 times in 2
hours, we hear machine gun fire from about a mile away. At that point
I decided NOT to climb the active volcano tomorrow and camp on it's
rim. :)

So you say... is this all BS Craig? I mean, really... the CONGO?
It is not BS my friends. I went to Rwanda, and was sitting in the
rain at a restaurant eating when these 3 Indian fellows asked where I
was going. I said Gisinyi (the resort town where Dan Mirvish made his
infamous phone call from a war zone in 1991 (I got pics of the place
Dan!!!)). I told them this and they said, we'll take you there. So I
sat down, we chat and off we go. Only one vegetable tossed at us on
the way (Rwandan's don't like the UN, go figure).

It's been fascinating. I'm staying at the base and making new friends
(and not leaving the compound, I can assure you. :)

Welcome to Africa!
Craigo

No comments:

Post a Comment