Monday, September 26, 2005

I'm STILL in BANGKOK!

Yep, 3 trips to the chiropractor, many awful, long confusing cab
rides (the cabbies here are really clueless. I think they've chosen
every worst road to drive even when i tell them exactly how to go
they still go the wrong way.:)

Neck still hurts. :(
Supposedly it's aligned, but the spasms were so bad it'll take longer
to heal. Oh well. Still getting around, relaxing, seeing some fun
thai bands play (though I can't dance becuase it hurts! Me, not
dancing, arrrggghhhhh!)

Anyway, Tom and Olga will be here tonite, and that'll be fun to hear
their stories and relive mine. And who knows, this may be the night
of legends!

It's Been a great trip, with many outlandish adventures. This may be
the final log (unless tonite is spectacular and demands that there is
something written). I've really had a great time and feel so
fortunate to have been able to take this journey. And I've learned a
few lessons and guidelines I'd like to share with you all:

1. Yes, the ultimate backpacker packing list works,

so if you are ever traveling please consult myself or Liz and you
will be pleased with your light and quick pack (as opposed to the
folks lugging 70 (!) pounds on their back.), it will allow you to see
more, and not be stuck on a bus someplace wondering where you'll
sleep.

2. 2 weeks per country.

IT's a good guideline. Each country should get at least 2 weeks
minimum. I tried to goto too many countries so I was very rushed and
didn't get the quality time in some of them. (Nam and Cambodia) And
as a result it became more about finihing off a list of sights I
wanted to see rather than experiencing the country and the people.
And if you think you know all the places you want to see before you
arrive in the place then you don't need to be there in the first
place. There are alot of suprises that are what really make these
trips so great. You've got to keep your mind open and be willing to
let things go from the list, after all, the list is just a guess at
what would be good to see. it's not set in stone.
Also, as a result of moving to quickly I didn't meet anyone
interesting in Nam or Cambodia...
Which leads to

3. Having someone to travel with makes it more fun.

I'm so glad I went on my own (or I never would have gone) and for the
first 2 weeks had some people I'd met up with because I wasn't
rushing and had time. It allowed me to bond with people, get passed
the basic conversation of "where are you traveling? where have you
been?", and get to more meaningful stuff. (of course if you come
with friends, you'll already be past that.) But after I left Laos, I
was basically on my own because of flights and very specific, less
flexible schedules.
So, even though these places are wonderful, it doesn't feel as real
and vibrant in my mind because there are no people to connect with
them.
thus, either bring them with you, OR, don't rush through, so that you
can meet people and develop relationships on the road. It really
enriches the whole thing. Places+People = paradise!

4. Bring your own chiropractor from home... oh wait, that's not very
likely, unless they were your friend. :) Or you met them... do they
have a www.chiropractortravelfriends.com?

That's what I've got right now.
Again, Thanks for reading all these silly adventures, I hope they
were amusing. And I'm glad glad, thankful, thankful that I was able
to do this. And I never really did figure out this whole obsession
with the Buddha dude, I mean, he really is more popular than Michael
Jackson. (though for very different reasons I think.) And now that
I'm back in Bangkok, these people keep offering me the sucky-sucky
again, and I just don't think that it would be the best idea. (sorry
Warren!)

And finally, for those of you who read these and were like "I wish I
could do that, but I could never get away/take time off/do that", "I
couldn't imagine going someplace where I don't speak the language",
don't limit yourself. You can! This wasn't that difficult, and
wasn't that painful (minus the neck, but that happens at home:).
These places are amazing to see, filled with wonderful people and
environements, cultures, music (okay, some of the music stinks),
buildings, countryside, adventures and more. They are here in SE
asia, in South America, Central America, Africa, Europe, Australia,
Hell, in your own country. Anywhere you travel to will shake you up
and let you realize how much more there is to the world, and what an
amazing place it is, so full of life and uniqueness. And I know for
me that makes me glad to experience it abroad, and thankful for all
the wonderful family, friends, and life that I have back home.

The world is there to explore, so get out there and do it.
I hope to see all of you out here on the road sometime soon...

This is CraigO, last surving member of the Nostromo, signing off...

Rock on!

No comments:

Post a Comment